Thursday, June 18, 2009

#18 - NFL, murderers, and the like

There is much ado in the NFL lately about the recent ruling on Donte Stallworth regarding a DUI manslaughter charge. The basics of the story are as follows: Donte Stallworth was driving under the influence of alcohol and he hit a man and killed him. He had a BAL of .126, well above the legal limit of .08. His sentence was 30 days in prison. Of that 30 days, he must only serve 24. Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Christopher Lyons, Stallworth's lawyer, said that after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving for reasons such as employment. Now, I believe, but am not positive that he avoided a Felony conviction (which could have carried a 15 year sentence) and plead guilty to misdemeanor DUI manslaughter. Not sure how that works, but I'm pretty sure I got that right.

I want to lay out my thoughts on playing in the NFL for you so that hopefully, you will more clearly understand why I think the way I do. It is my thought that playing in the NFL is a privilege. You obviously have to have God given talent and along with that work your butt off training and becoming the best. You're being payed to play a game. You're playing in the National Football League. Many argue that it is just business and that people can't be revoked their right to play in the game. I argue that point by saying this...professional sports are regulated by the government. They have anti-trust status preventing them from being declared a monopoly. The government provides them with tax breaks and in some cases gives them land allowing teams to build stadiums on that land. The government uses the anti-trust status as leverage to force leagues to do certain things, such as making baseball expand. Because of all of this, I say that playing in the NFL is a privilege.

Now, if you were to commit a felony, I say you shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL or any other professional sport. Why? If you commit a felony, depending on the severity, you lose your right to serve your country in the military. In some states, you lose your right to vote. Also, you can lose your right to bear arms! Being a felon can actually make you lose some rights given you by the Constitution of the United States! Now, I'm not here to argue whether that is right or wrong, I'm just saying that because of the way things are currently, we must continue down this path. If someone is willing to change those laws, then so be it, I'll change my view. In addition to all of that, you can also lose your right to be on a jury, therefore, making you peerless as it were.

What does all of this have to do with Donte Stallworth? Well, honestly, I can't say it has anything to do with him. Technically I believe he was found guilty of a misdemeanor. (Should have been a felony). What this DOES have to do with is Michael Vick. He HAS been convicted of a felony. I am so tired of hearing people say they want to see him make a triumphant return. I'm even tired of people saying they want him to make a return and flop! He shouldn't be allowed to play! He committed a felony, he's out. Period. (Side note: If they do let him back, I hope he comes out on the field and a fan runs on with a pit bull and the dog chews his legs off)

What about Pacman Jones? Well, this is where things get confusing. I love my NFL. I love what Roger Goodell has done by implementing a strict player conduct policy. The policy only applies to the player's personal lives and image in the public spotlight. I like this policy. It makes my NFL appear to be law abiding whether the players are or not. Jones was suspended because he had too many run-ins with the law. No, he was never convicted of any felonies (or misdemeanors??), but he was too often caught up in felonies and misdemeanors. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time all the time.

Well..I kind of ended that quickly, but I'm burned out on talking about the problems in the NFL.

7 comments:

Keith said...

So much for forgiveness.....

Kevin said...

There is a difference between forgiveness and exoneration. Do I believe he can be forgiven? Yes. Do I believe he can be exonerated? No.

Keith said...

Exoneration means that it was proven that "he" (whichever "he" you are talking about) was proven innocent. So I would agree, he will not be exonerated. Forgiveness means to forgive something. To, not hold it against them any more. To, "let it go."

Kevin said...

In order for them to regain those rights, I would think they would need to be exonerated, not forgiven. I don't want convicted felons running around with guns. Technically, I don't think it is possible to forgive them. We're holding it against them by denying them rights. Do you want to deny them rights?

By 'them' I mean all felons not necessarily the people mentioned.

Keith said...

I did not think that we were considering playing in the NFL as a right, but a priviledge. If you have proven that you cannot carry a gun responsibly, then you shouldn't be able to carry a gun. But we aren't talking about guns. (unless we are talking about Burress) We are talking about taking the only thing that someone has away from them. I don't understand why we would say, "you made a HUGE mistake(and it is huge) by driving a car and hitting a person while intoxicated, you should not be able to go back to work." It's like saying, "Kevin, you accidently fell asleep while you were driving home after being up all night and you drove into someones house killing a person inside, so we are going to take away your job at Finelight." Why would you take away the stability? I don't get it.

Kevin said...

It is a privilege, as is voting, and carrying a gun, and serving your country in the military or on a jury. You have to look at it as a right also as those things are all the same. It is a privilege because you get to make several million dollars a year doing something that roughly 1700 people get to do. That's 1700 people worldwide. That's You're getting payed to play a game. Is it business? Yes, but you can't forget it's also a game.

If I had a DUI manslaughter, I can almost certainly assure you that I would lose my job. I am being a poor representative of my business.

The comparison you made is not fair. Falling asleep at the wheel after being up all night has nothing to do with recreational drugs! You must be able to see THAT!

We're saying you made a huge mistake by driving a car and hitting a person while intoxicated, you shouldn't be able to go back to work as a professional athlete because you have displayed that you don't have the responsibility needed to be a role model to the other 6999998300 people in the world.

Heather said...

I dont think you two boys could agree on anything...oh....and I think Kevin is right.