Saturday, March 7, 2009

#10 - Hmm...BRILLIANT!

For a long time now, I've been very firm in my stance about the 'Genius' feature in iTunes. I just find it amazing that it took Apple so long to do something that has been out for quite some time now. Kind of like them refusing to switch to HDMI output on their laptops because they think DVI is better (HDMI includes sound, DVI doesn't, HDMI has a sharper image imo and a smaller plug...silly Apple).

Anyways! I get sidetracked easily. So I turned on Genius the other day because I was so anti it. I selected a song in my music list and clicked the genius button and BOOM I've got my first Genius playlist.

I gotta say, I'm quite impressed. The 'base song' I chose was 'What If' by Coldplay. From this song, I received what was quite possibly one of the best playlists ever. They weren't all songs I love (or even like for a few), but still, amazing playlist.

What's that? You want to know what it is? Oh! Ok! From the top:

What If - Coldplay
#41 - Dave Matthews Band
Waiting For My Real Life To Begin - Colin Hay
Space Oddity - David Bowie
Who Wants To Live Forever - Queen
Leave Out All the Rest - Linkin Park
I Dare You - Shinedown
Shiver - Coldplay
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Crush - Dave Matthews Band (Central Park Concert Disc 1)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (The Wall Disc 2)
Overkill - Colin Hay
The Show Must Go On - Queen
Square One - Coldplay
Burning Bright - Shinedown
Hero Of The Day - Metallica
Hands Held High - Linkin Park
Space Between - Dave Matthews Band
Comfortably Numb (Encore) - Pink Floyd (Pulse Disc 2)
Politik - Coldplay
Heroes - Shinedown
The Unforgiven - Metallica
Down Under - Colin Hay
Radio Ga Ga - Queen

Now, I know people are thinking, 'Kevin, there are a lot of repeat bands on there.' Yeah, there are. I listen to a lot more music than what is played there, I'm not sure why their 'genius' didn't give me more variety, but honestly I'm ok with it.

When you take Colin Hay, Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews, and Coldplay, you're going to have a great playlist.

If you want to hear some great music check out Comfortably Numb, Waiting For My Real Life to Begin, Crush, and Burning Bright. I could listen to those 4 everyday.

If anyone still reads this, I'd like to know some of your favorite songs.

4 comments:

newbeginnings said...

You know alot of what I like to listen to. I am trying to think of some artists that you may not know.

Regulars:
DMB
Coldplay

Others:
Corrine Bailey Rae
John Legend
John Mayer
Take 6
U2
Usher
Starfield
Chris Tomlin

This isn's all of them, but maybe some new ones for you.

Heather said...

First off, congrats on 2nd place in your Nerf War, you didn't win but you didn't suck either!

Ok, here are some of my favorites. You do have to remember that there is quite a generational gap here, so don't roll your eyes.

Don't Cry - Guns n Roses
I Alone - Live
I Want Everything - Cracker
Lithium - Nirvana
Walk This Way - Aerosmith/Run DMC
Kerosene Hat - Cracker
Patience - Guns n Roses
Do What You Have To Do - Sarah McLachlan
I Remember You - Skid Row
The Dolphins Cry - Live
Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard

I love em'

Keith said...

I commented signed in as Kimber accidently.

Andy Lauer said...

Keith, I did that once, well sort of . . . I commented on a blog that I thought was your brother's and it was actually someone else's--brain aneurysm I guess.

Kevin, I would add Keane, Phil Wickham, David Gray, Counting Crows, Johnny Cash, Sting, Sigur Ros, Sondre Lerche, and Tracy Chapman to that list.